Monday, September 28, 2009

Holidays are coming

I am so ready for the holidays. I love spending them with my kids. We make so many items during all of them and I love planning it all out. (probably what most of my post will be so I have one place to go back to)

Halloween here is all about decorating. We always decorate the house and take the kids out for trick or treat. Normally I make some Halloween themed foods and we snack most of the day. I think this year we are going to try and do the Corn maze if it is still open. Living in FL there isn't to many fall themed places. Way to hot for that kind of thing.

Thanksgiving is spent with me in the kitchen cooking and cooking and doing more cooking. We sometimes go to one of our parents home to celebrate but most of the time we stay home and eat with our children and invite some family over or invite someone over who doesn't have family to be with. We try to spend that day just being thankful and grateful for all that we have. We normally put the Christmas tree up that night and watch football. I always make way to much food and we always have more leftovers then we know what to do with.
For dinner we have
Turkey
Ham
Green beans with new potatoes
Collard greens
sweet potatoes
Rolls
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Salad of some sort
Mac and cheese
And I am sure there is more but I never can remember what all I cook. I try to add something new every year.

Christmas starts baking for me.I love to make cookies. So every year I start around the 2nd week of December and bake right up until the Christmas eve. Christmas Eve this year will be spent at my Sister in Laws house. We are going to do a soup and salad dinner and deserts. She wanted to do a family dinner before the big day at her home so I offered to help her out.
As for my baking well this year I have teachers already asking for cookies. They make great teacher presents. I think I have about 8 teachers already asking and some that I didn't give cookies to last year that have only heard about them wanting some. LOL!! Makes me feel good to know that they were enjoyed so much.
I know for sure that I will be making:
Almond Joy Cookies
Hawaiian delights
Chocolate and peanut butter fudge
Melting moments from the joy of baking (add mini chocolate chips to some as well)
Biscotti (not sure on what kind or how it will turn out. It will be a 1st for me)
Oatmeal peanut butter cookies
Chocolate chip cookies
and so many others..
I am sure the closer it gets I will have a post for just cookie baking.

No comments: